Grain growers will have the opportunity to develop their own tailored farm frost management plan, with guidance from leading experts, at a series of pre-seeding frost workshops in March.
The free-of-charge workshops, coordinated by the Grower Group Alliance (GGA) and conducted with investment from GRDC, will also present the latest frost research findings and strategies to help growers minimise the impact of frost on their profitability.
GRDC manager agronomy, soils and farming systems – west, Josh Johnson, says the hands-on workshops aimed to provide growers and advisers with the knowledge and confidence to apply frost mitigation strategies this cropping season and beyond.
“Growers are encouraged to bring yield and elevation maps and 2021 paddock plans,” Mr Johnson says.
“Using the information presented on the day, together with input from the experts in the room, participants will leave the workshop with a plan to reduce the impact of frost on their profitability.
“This personalised farm frost zone management plan will take into account enterprise, crop types, variety by sowing date and input strategies, along with frost risk.”
Presenters will include:
- frost researcher Ben Biddulph, of the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
- consultant Garren Knell, of ConsultAg
- growers (Gary Lang, Wickepin, Ashton Gray, Tarin Rock, and Brent Hyde, Holt Rock) who will share their experiences and strategies.
Local agronomists are also encouraged to attend and be involved. Facey Group executive officer Sarah Hyde, ConsultAg agronomist Jordy Medlen and Farm and General agronomist Greg Warren will facilitate the workshops.
Supported by local grower groups, the events will be held at the following locations:
- Bruce Rock (Merredin and District Farm Improvement Group): Tuesday, March 2, 1.30-5.30pm
- Hyden (Holt Rock Group): Wednesday, March 3, 1.30-5.30pm
- Lake Grace (Lakes Information and Farming Technology group): Monday, March 8, 1-5pm
- Needilup (Fitzgerald Biosphere Group): Tuesday, March 9, 7.30am-12 noon
- Borden (Stirlings to Coast Farmers): Tuesday, March 9, 1.30-5.30pm
- Kojonup (Southern Dirt): Wednesday, March 10, 8.30am-12 noon
- Salmon Gums (South East Premium Wheat Growers Association): Thursday, March 18, 8.30am-12 noon.