Central Queensland will be the focus of attention for GRDC's Northern Region Panel later this month.
Led by grain grower and chair of GRDC's Northern Panel, John Minogue, the advisory panel will tour through the Rockhampton, Callide/Jambin, Duaringa, Emerald, Capella and Gindie regions on a three-day fact-finding trip to engage with growers, agronomists, farm advisers, researchers and community members.
Mr Minogue said the panels played a critical role in relaying information back to GRDC about the individual challenges facing growers, along with feedback on their research needs and priorities.
GRDC Northern Panel visits different areas of New South Wales and Queensland cropping regions twice a year to liaise directly with industry.
“As a panel it is critical that we create opportunities to engage directly with growers in a two-way conversation that helps us develop an in-depth understanding of their regions and the issues and constraints faced in their farming businesses,” Mr Minogue said.
“Understanding the concerns and challenges facing growers in different regions is vital to ensuring GRDC investments deliver paddock-ready solutions to production constraints, help reduce production costs and, importantly, increase farm profitability.
Mr Minogue said GRDC used information from panel tours to help refine research, development and extension (RD&E) investments at a regional and national level.
“Informing RD&E investments and priorities as a result of the tours is important because, at the end of the day, we all share a common goal of creating enduring profitability for the grains industry,” he said.
“This tour of Central Queensland will also allow us to assess the effectiveness of past and present GRDC investments in the region as well as potential new opportunities.”
Mr Minogue invited growers, agronomists, farm advisers and grains industry representatives to join panel members at any of the stopovers.
- 4pm - BBQ meet and greet – Central Queensland University, Rockhampton campus
- 9.45am - NVT trial at Ian and Megan Hutching’s property ‘Lorraine’, Jambin
- 1.45pm -Visit to Colin Dunne’s property ‘Sorrel Hills’, Duaringa
- 8.30am - BBQ breakfast with growers and researchers at Emerald Research Station
- Grower field walk at Emerald Research Station
- 11.15am - Discussions with growers and BBQ lunch with Capella growers at Gersbach’s ‘Kurrajong’ Capella.
- 3.00pm - Discussions with growers and afternoon tea with Gindie growers at Sampson’s ‘Glenora Downs’ Gindie.
On the tour will be GRDC Northern Panel members:
- John Minogue (Panel Chair)
- Arthur Gearon (Deputy Chair)
- Roy Hamilton
- Peter McKenzie
- Graham Spackman
- Bruce Watson
- Dr Jo White
- Chris Clyne
- Georgina Pengilley
- Adam Tomlinson.
GRDC staff will also be accompanying the panel.
More information: on the itinerary, contact GRDC Senior Regional Manager – North, Gillian Meppem, 0409 279 328, email@example.com.