With the northern grains industry facing fresh challenges to farm profitability, stakeholders gathered to hear the latest information to guide on-farm decision-making at the recent 2020 GRDC Grains Research Update in Goondiwindi.
Topics discussed at the event included:
- a fall armyworm update;
- grain production in a changing climate;
- understanding maximum residue limits and trade issues;
- fertiliser decisions;
- herbicide resistance management;
- optimising cereal yields;
- cereal pathology after the drought; and
- maintaining wheat yields and quality under high temperatures.
The Updates are premiere events on the northern grains industry calendar, bringing together some of Australia's leading grain research scientists, agronomists, consultants and growers.
GRDC Grower Relations Manager - North, Susan McDonnell, says topics are selected by local planning committees to ensure they are regionally-relevant, credible and science-based - and provide new information that is practical and ready for on-farm adoption, with the potential to make a tangible difference to growers' bottom lines.
"It's important that we continue to lift the bar on production and profitability for the grains industry and the GRDC is investing in research on behalf of growers to ensure that happens," she says.
"It is equally important to communicate the progress and outcomes of these research projects, which tackle productivity constraints and break new ground in agricultural technology.
"The Updates are the ideal forum for learning, sharing ideas and networking, all of which are critical to successful and effective change.
"The mood of attendees at the Goondiwindi Update last week was buoyant following recent rain. But we are all aware more rain is needed to ensure a sustainable seasonal improvement and to allow some of these research lessons to be implemented at paddock level."
- Stay tuned for expert advice on growing pulses in 2020
- Rohan Brill takes out the GRDC's 2020 Northern Region Emerging Leader Award for his R&D work
- Well-known agronomist wins GRDC northern region 2020 Seed of Light Award
GRDC Research Code ICN1909-001WCX
More Information: Toni Somes, GRDC Communications Manager - North, 0436 622 645, firstname.lastname@example.org