Do you have ideas about how the profitability of grain growers in your area could be enhanced through grains research, development and extension (RD&E)?
Or are you interested in hearing speakers addressing topical issues and receiving an overview of existing Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) RD&E investments, with a free meal and refreshments provided?
Grain growers and other industry representatives are invited to attend 10 GRDC Regional Cropping Solutions Network (RCSN) Open Forums in the Western Australian grainbelt during June and July.
GRDC RCSN western region coordinator Julianne Hill encouraged growers to come along to have direct input into where their levies are spent on grains RD&E.
"These events have been running for the last four years and are a good way for you to have your say about issues impacting on your farming business," she said.
- Roma farm overseer Kayne Maskill introduces changes to reduce risk of spray drift
- Clues found on chaff loads needed to inhibit weed seedling emergence
- Multiple tactics the best way to control ryegrass in the HRZ
"They allow the GRDC and grain growers to communicate about the GRDC's current investments and potential future investments, in response to evolving farming issues.
"The Open Forums are one of the ways that the GRDC consults with WA grain growers.
"Members of WA's five RCSNs provide the GRDC with information on issues that impact on profitability in their local areas, while the GRDC Western Region Panel helps to refine the GRDC's RD&E investment portfolio.
"RCSN and GRDC Western Region Panel members will attend the GRDC Open Forums and they welcome the opportunity to talk to people attending."
GRDC grower relations manager - west, Jo Wheeler, said the Open Forums, along with the GRDC's RCSN initiative, meant the GRDC - at a regional and national level - could consider investments in high priority, locally relevant activities.
"The aim of any GRDC investment activities is to deliver levy payers the greatest benefits and to complement the GRDC RD&E Plan 2018-23," she said.
Over the past two years, a total of 29 Open Forums, attended by more than 800 people, have been held in regional locations of WA - bringing the total number of Open Forums held in the State to 46 since 2015.
For more information about the meetings and to register, visit www.rcsn.net.auor contact Ms Hill on 0447 261 607 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 GRDC RCSN Open Forums in WA include:
- Yuna Multipurpose Community Centre (4-7pm, June 24, following the Yuna Farm Improvement Group meeting)
- Perenjori Sports Club (8-11am, June 25)
Kwinana West zone
- Badgingarra Research Station (3pm, June 20, following the West Midlands Group event)
- Corrigin Hotel (4-7pm, June 26, following the Corrigin Farm Improvement Group pasture walk)
Kwinana East zone
- Beacon Country Club (8-11am, June 27)
- Munty Pub, Muntadgin (4-7pm, June 27)
- Freebairn Recreation Centre, Kulin (4-7pm, July 1)
- Kojonup shire complex - football club (8-11am, July 2)
- Ravensthorpe (8-11am, July 30)
- Grass Patch (4-7pm, July 30)
GRDC Project Code HIL0002