Registrations have opened for popular events in Western Australia's grainbelt aimed at driving innovation and adoption of improved farm business management practices across the grains industry.
GRDC Farm Business Updates will be held in:
- Wickepin on February 11;
- Bencubbin on February 12; and
- Northampton on February 13.
GRDC Western Region Panel chair Darrin Lee says these events are aimed at assisting grain growers with their farm management skills by providing them - as well as advisers and agribusiness representatives - with access to the latest and best farm business management concepts and practices.
He says the GRDC Farm Business Updates are a forum for growers and advisers to discuss farm enterprise management concepts, and how they may overcome financial hurdles to successfully adopt research outcomes that can improve on-farm profitability.
On the updates agenda
Expert speakers, addressing relevant topics, will feature during the 2020 events. Issues to be covered will include:
- Economic drivers and mega trends. Record low interest rates, trade wars and banks under scrutiny. What does it all mean? (Saul Eslake, economist);
- Protecting your freedom to operate. Navigating a path with evidence and emotion (Katherine Delbridge, CropLife Australia);
- Workforce planning. Taking a strategic approach to farm labour (Sally Murfet, Inspire AG);
- People are the key to your business success. The nuts and bolts of sound farm staff management (Marie Fowler, grain grower, Condingup WA);
- Signs of the time. Making sound farming decisions in a volatile climate (Peter Kuhlmann, grain grower, Mudamuckla, SA);
- Culture eats strategy for breakfast. What is the culture of your family business? (Stuart Wesley, Oasis People and Culture);
- Volatile global politics, trade sanctions, what are the likely impacts on grain markets and which grains are most at risk? (Nick Carracher, Lachstock Consulting).
Each of the GRDC Farm Business Updates will be held from 9.25am to 4pm (doors open at 8.30am).
A new GRDC video series 'What to ask your financial adviser', including these below, covers farm business topics and is available on the GRDC YouTube channel.
Topics of the videos relate to investment into land, soil amelioration, on-farm storage and machinery.
More Information: Jo Wheeler, GRDC grower relations manager - west, 0438 292 167, firstname.lastname@example.org